Monday, November 1, 2010

Drew Wittig's Artwork

     I have a friend named Drew Wittig who is a very talented artist. His work is expressive and abstract, it is gorgeously colorful, and exciting as hell. Drew and I met in San Francisco, through mutual friends, and recently reconnected here in New York City. He's also been helping me figure out how to do this whole blog thing, which is awesome. His work has changed and developed in some amazing ways since we first met in 06' or 07' (I'm not sure which year). Here's some pages from his sketch book, I love the vibrant colors in this first piece contrasted with black, white, and grays.  Also there is an awesome contrast between the real and the abstract, check it out:
        Here's another one:
   Again, I love the contrast between color, and black and white, it makes the colors pop out at the you. I also love the different characters he uses blending into abstract images, it gives the peace a sort of dream like quality. These pieces both really bring me in, and make me wonder like I did as a little kid, which is great. Wittig is a very dynamic artist with a mixture of different talents, i.e. photography, music, drawing, and painting. Here is a wonderful Polaroid photo he took of the Golden Gate Bridge (SF Giants World Series Champs 2010!):

 Here is a beautiful water color on paper, which he did more recently than the other works we have seen:
Krishnain Cosmic Battle

        As you can see Wittig has a very unique style. His works touch on the hidden parts of the human mind, the parts of ourselves that are less obvious to us in our daily lives. He also is someone who is not afraid to express emotion in his work. Wittig is an artist through and through, he is a person who is willing to try different things creatively, and thus to explore the unknown (in other words, Drew Wittig is a beast).




No comments:

Post a Comment