Monday, November 8, 2010

Homeboy Sandman: Real Emcees Still Exist

    I just went to the Homeboy Sandman concert this last Friday, and was blown away by this guys ability to perform. He did a great set at Southpaw, a venue in Park Slope, Brooklyn. I hadn't been to a hip-hop show for at least a couple of years, and this emcees performing didn't let me down at all to say the least. He was vocal, rhythmic, and energetic as hell. I tried to get video and photos from the show on my phone, but they all turned out pretty bad. Here's one of the severely blurry photos I got:
    He is a musician who clearly takes his craft seriously, and doesn't hide behind anything when he performs. I loved the show, and I hope that anyone who reads this can appreciate him too. Here is a video that was released about him a while ago:

To me this gentleman is not just a talented emcee, he is someone who is real, and says what is real for him, which is a big deal in a world where being full of shit is the norm. I already had respect for him before I went and saw him play, but when I saw that he was able to do what he does on the record and bring it to life in the way that he did Friday, I realized that real emcees still do exist, and that hip-hop still has the ability to influence me in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment